Accelerated Online Course
What are Accelerated Online Courses?
Accelerated Courses are "condensed" courses that are shorter in length than "regular" semester-length courses. Their start and/or end dates differ from the regular semester start and end dates. Accelerated courses may:
- start at the "regular" semester start date but end early.
- start late but end at the "regular" semester end date.
- start later and end earlier than "regular" semester courses.
However, it is important to note that the amount of coursework covered in Accelerated Courses is the same as that found in semester-long courses. Since Accelerated Courses contain the same amount of coursework as the "regular" full-length semester courses, that means that students are expected to complete the same amount of coursework in half the time.
Accelerated courses are usually available for registration up until their start dates or until they are filled.
Why take an accelerated class?
Taking an accelerated course allows you to complete the coursework in half the time. Students consider choosing the condensed time frame of an Accelerated Class if they cannot commit to a semester-long course schedule. Students who miss the semester start date have the option of taking accelerated classes that start late rather than having to wait until the next semester begins to begin a class.
What is expected of me?
To be successful in your accelerated course, you are expected to:
- Have an Owl Link account. (You must have logged into Owl Link and reset your password.)
- Plan to keep up diligently with the work assigned
- View weekly lessons
- Have access to a computer with Internet service and a PGCC student email account
- Log in regularly to your classes, usually three to five times per week (or more)
- Plan to ensure enough time to study and complete assignments
- Commit 6 - 9 hours per week per three-credit class
- Enjoy communicating in writing and reading the writing of others
- "Speak up" to your instructors when problems arise
- Be willing to take responsibility for your learning
- Be able to learn easily from reading and writing
- Know how to use technology properly
- Read and write well
- Be comfortable addressing problems at a distance
- Have good time management skills to follow a schedule for finishing readings and assignments
- Have good research skills, including how to effectively use the Internet
- Have the ability to work well cooperatively, even when your communication is restricted to email or online chat
- Complete the Checklist for Starting your Online Course(at the bottom of this page) prior to beginning your course
What software and equipment will I need?
To take an online course you will need access to a computer that is connected to the Internet, Internet access, a PGCC student email address, and the appropriate software.
Click here for hardware/software requirements.
- Register for your course.
- Confirm orientation date, time and location, if applicable.
- Check course dates and deadlines. Some Accelerated Courses begin on the regularly scheduled semester start date, others begin at a later date.
- Verify the on-campus meeting times of your Hybrid/Online Course.
- Visit your instructor's web page for information about the course requirements and materials and pertinent information about how to access the course.
- Be sure you have internet access and your PGCC student e-mail account activated before the start date of the course.
- Resolve any technical problems before the class starts, as technical problems are generally not accepted as an excuse for late or incomplete work in an online course. You may contact eLearning Services for assistance.
- Know how to logon to Blackboard. Please note: you will be able to login to Blackboard no later than the day after you register, but your course will not be available to you until four (4) days prior to the start date of your course.
- Purchase your textbook.