Please Note: Due to COVID-19, ALL SUMMER 2020 SEMESTER COURSES WILL BE TAUGHT ONLINE
Online courses provide a flexible alternative to the traditional face-to-face learning environment. However, learning online is different than attending class on campus. Because the online classroom differs from the traditional classroom, it is important for you to understand how to succeed in the online environment by completing an orientation session.
There are two orientation options for online students:
- Student Blackboard Orientation which is a Blackboard (Bb) course and can be accessed once you can log in to Blackboard. All credit students, on-campus and online, are automatically enrolled in this course;
- Mandatory Course Orientation sessions are conducted by individual instructors.
Every student who registers for a credit course each semester is automatically enrolled in the 'Student Blackboard Orientation' course. This course is not mandatory or graded but is highly recommended for first-time online students or students using Blackboard for the first time.
There are two General Orientation Options: On-Campus for a drop-in "hands-on" session and Online in Blackboard
The On-Campus "Drop-In" Orientation is an optional session conducted by the eLearning Services staff. This session is for students who have questions or concerns about how the online course works and would like to sit down with an eLearning staff member to go over the Blackboard course. Stop by and get hands-on experience to better understand how the online course works.
There is no On-Campus "Drop-In" in the summer semesters.
The Student Blackboard Orientation course will lay the foundation for your success as an eLearning student by explaining:
- The basics of your online class
- Computer requirements and necessary technical skills
- How to navigate the online classroom (Blackboard)
- How to use the online library services
- Campus resources available to you as an online student
Even if you have taken an online class before, complete the Student Blackboard Orientation course to enhance your online student skills and to refresh your memory about the online classroom.
You should see the "Student Blackboard Orientation" course in your list of courses when you log in to Blackboard. This is an optional course and is not graded. This course does not provide a certificate.
Please Note: Course Orientation
Course orientation sessions for the summer 2020 semester will be conducted online by your instructor(s). Please look for an email from your course instructor(s) regarding orientation in the coming weeks.