1. Complete Orientation
All first-time online and hybrid/online students should complete orientation. The Fall 2020 Online Student Orientation will be conducted online in Blackboard, Prince George's Community College's learning management system (LMS).
All credit students are automatically enrolled in a Blackboard course “2020FA Student Bb Orientation.” From this Blackboard course, students can access the online student orientation and other helpful information to help them get started in their online course. Credit students can view the Student Online Orientation from your list of courses.
Note: The orientation course is not graded or required. However, it is highly recommended.
Some instructors also conduct mandatory Instructor-led Orientation sessions. Your instructor will contact you via email with further instructions on how and when to access their orientation.
Orientation contains information on:
- The basics of online learning and your online course(s)
- Requirements for online students
- Online student responsibilities
- How to determine if your computer has the minimum hardware and software requirements
- The learning and technical skills you will need to be a successful online student
- How to log in and use Blackboard
- The virtual campus and resources available to online students
2. Set up Your Owl Mail Account
You must set up your Owl Mail account. Once your course begins, the ONLY way the college and your instructor are allowed to communicate with you is through your Owl Mail account and all email sent through Blackboard goes to your Owl Mail account.
Please note: if you have an existing Hotmail account you MUST sign out of your Hotmail account in order to log in and view your Owl Mail email. Activate your Owl Mail account here.
3. Access Your Online Classroom Through Blackboard
Online classes are conducted through Blackboard, the college’s online classroom platform.
Students will be able to access their course in Blackboard 4 calendar days prior to the start date of the course. (For example, if the course begins on August 25th, students will be able to log in and see their course on August 21st.)
You can access Blackboard in a variety of ways:
- The link on the front page of the PGCC website
- From the main Owl Link page (accessed through the PGCC website)
- Through the MyPGCC portal
- Directly at https://pgcconline.blackboard.com
You must have your Owl Link account set up in order to access Blackboard. Use your Owl Link username and password to log into Blackboard. Click here for information about Owl Link.
4. Keep in Mind!
All online classes have due dates and deadlines just like campus classes. It is important that you log in to your course as soon as it is available so that you can begin your course work.
Once you log in to your course if you have any questions about the course be sure to contact your instructor immediately!